** Please do not copy photos to other websites, including Facebook - post a link instead **

Tal-Ħandaq Nostalgia

Memories of the Royal Naval School, Malta, 1947 - 1978.


stgbay.jpg
St George's Bay587 viewsfrom Villa RosaPrefect
Ballutta_Bay_1942.jpg
Balluta Bay 1942566 viewsThe Carmelite Church and Convent with the 'monumental' Balluta Buildings .jane banks
mosta20s.jpg
Mosta 1920s550 viewsPrefect
cardiff30s.jpg
HMS Cardiff 1930s480 viewsThe Captain's DeparturePrefect
oldpcs~0.jpg
Old Postcards572 views2 commentsPrefect
picnic1870s.jpg
A non PC Picnic 1870s654 views2 commentsPrefect
foundbw1903.jpg
Breakwater Foundation Stone636 viewsLaid by King Edward VII at Ricasoli 1903.2 commentsPrefect
spinola~0.jpg
Spinola586 viewsLong ago. The boathouses survive with buildings on top.Prefect
dragonara~2.jpg
Dragonara Palace588 viewsBefore Paceville had been invented.Prefect
tignebtb.jpg
Tigne - Before the barracks.678 viewsPrefect
030125122742w.jpg
The Sliema terminal of the Ferry 1915777 viewsJane Banks3 commentsPrefect
ferry1930.jpg
The Valletta terminal of the Ferry 1930655 viewsCompare Tigne Point todayPrefect
goat.jpg
Studio Portrait of a Goat520 views Malta Fever (Brucellosis) was identified by Sir David Bruce in 1887, and later found to be spread by goat's milk. The Mtarfa Hospital was named after him.Prefect
GC.jpg
Presentation of the George Cross552 viewsBy Lord Gort to the Chief Justice, 13 September 1942.Prefect
fhc.jpg
Legend or Myth?657 views3 Gloster Sea Gladiators over Malta 1940.
SEE THE "TRUE "STORY
1 commentsPrefect
1900colsecchamb.jpg
VIP Visitor 1900617 viewsMr Joseph Chamberlain, the Colonial Secretary, is greeted by the Governor at Customs House having disembarked by the Ceremonial Gondola.Prefect
funeral1902.jpg
An Admiral's Funeral 1902540 viewsPrefect
nilechurchill98.jpg
HMS Nile 1898601 viewsCaptain Churchill is piped aboard.1 commentsPrefect
benbowcoal.jpg
HMS Benbow coaling ship.1920s.575 viewsPrefect
VNO.jpg
Victorian Naval Officers posing537 viewsPrefect
polyhemus_c1900.jpg
HMS Polyphemus, Dockyard Creek, c1900.706 viewsThe third HMS Polyphemus was a Royal Navy torpedo ram, serving from 1881 until 1903. A shallow-draft, fast, low-profile vessel, she was designed to penetrate enemy harbours at speed and sink ships anchored in it. Designed by Nathaniel Barnaby as primarily as a protected torpedo boat, the ram was provided very much as secondary armament.Prefect
cottonera.jpg
A plan of Grand Harbour.735 viewsShowing the Cottonera Lines. Circled is the St Clement's Bastion and Parade Ground which may be of interest to our Verdala viewers.3 commentsPrefect
bws.jpg
The Breakwaters568 viewsBuilt between 1903 - 1909 with concrete blocks from Cala Mistra (St Paul's Bay) and stone from Gozo. Designed not only to keep out the Gregale but also to prevent anyone from firing a torpedo the length of the harbour. (Interestingly prior to this the Spencer Monument had been moved from Corradino to its present position to deny an aiming point). The slightly unfortunate result of the effectiveness of the breakwaters was the dog leg in the new steaming course which caused more than one ship to come to grief on Imgherbeb Point!Prefect
kalkara.jpg
1943665 viewsMartin Powell
A Press Association photo showing Farmer Paul Borg, somewhere back of Kalkara, surveying bomb damage. But with the vegetation growth over the ruins, do we believe them?
Prefect
dockyardcreek.jpg
Dockyard Creek. Late 1800s748 viewsMartin Powell
Can anyone see the Verdala Palm Tree?
5 commentsPrefect
cross2.jpg
Naval Cross Country 1934551 viewsMartin Powell
Starting from Marsa?
Prefect
cross1934.jpg
Escape not Permitted!629 viewsMartin PowellPrefect
londondock34.jpg
HMS London660 viewsMartin Powell
In No.4 Dock 1930s
Prefect
RNHMtarfa.jpg
RNH Mtarfa790 viewsAfter the First World War there was a re-organization of the military medical services on the Islands. The Mtarfa Hospital, commissioned in 1912, was opened on the 29th June 1920, even though it had been in use for some time earlier. During the Second World War, the Mtarfa Hospital and barracks were reorganized as the 90th General Hospital and built up to a maximum of 1200 beds. An underground hospital was excavated under the military hospital. After the war the 90th General was reformed as the David Bruce Military Hospital. This continued to serve the military, complementing Bighi Naval Hospital, until 1970. For the next eight years, the Mtarfa Hospital served the needs of British military and naval personnel until its closure in 1978.1 commentsPrefect
tignegallip.jpg
Gallipoli casualties at Tigne Hospital682 viewsFULL STORY SERVICE HOSPITALS
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/2615/medhist/hospital3.htm
Prefect
GT_camp.jpg
Ghajn Tuffieha Hospital Camp770 viewsOther hospitals and hospital camps were set up including: the Hamrun Hospital, St. Andrew's Hospital, St. George's Hospital, St. Paul's Hospital (close to St. Andrew's), St. David's Hospital and St. Patrick's Hospital, St. John's Hospital (in the Sliema Primary School), St. Ignatius Hospital (in the old Jesuit College in St. Julians), Tigne Hospital, St. Elmo and Baviere Hospitals in Valletta, Manoel Hospital, the Blue Sisters' Hospital and the Ghajn Tuffieha Camp.
FULL STORY SERVICE HOSPITALS

Prefect
zabbarcottonera1024.jpg
Cottonera Hospital (Zabbar Gate)751 viewsDuring the First World War, like the Crimean War period, Malta served as a "Nurse of the Mediterranean". From the Gallipoli campaigns 2500 officers and 55400 troops were treated in the Maltese hospitals, while from the 1917 Salonika campaigns 2600 officers and 64500 troops were treated. The Valletta Station Hospital served as a sorting base for the wounded arriving in the hospital ships prior to their being transferred to the other 30 hospitals and camps scattered over the Islands. The Valletta Hospital itself was reserved for dangerously ill cases that could not be safely moved. The principal hospitals and camps used were the commissioned Naval and Military hospitals: Bighi Naval Hospital, Valletta Hospital, Cottonera Hospital, Forrest Hospital, Mtarfa Hospital (commissioned in 1912) and Chambray Convalescent Depot. Prefect
566 files on 18 page(s) 16