** Please do not copy photos to other websites, including Facebook - post a link instead **

Tal-Ħandaq Nostalgia

Memories of the Royal Naval School, Malta, 1947 - 1978.


Most viewed - Before Our Time
032%20BAJJA%20TA%20SAN%20GORG%20SAN%20GILJAN%20(NAH_.jpg
St George's Bay & Barracks3594 views2 commentsPrefect
FDLgate.jpg
Fleur de Lis Gate3531 viewsAbout 1904, before the roundabout.
Rails on the left by the Aqueduct are for the construction of the Tramway.
Prefect
1930oldmalta08.jpg
The Harbour St Paul's Bay 1930s1921 viewsPrefect
Halfar%20overview%201945.jpg
Hal Far 19451841 viewsPrefect
Floriana_3D_Piazza_Maggiorecrop.jpg
Piazza Maggiore Floriana in 18581579 viewsWatercolour by Admiral Sir Edward Fanshawe showing the view from his house.
Piazza Maggiore was renamed Piazza Sir Filippo Sciberras and is now Triq Pietro Floriani (Map). Kalkara Gate was demolished in 1888.
pullu
029%20IL-PONT%20TAL%20MOSTA%20ghandujkun%20jghidulu%20tal-isperanza_%20Illun%20hemm%20pont%20_.jpg
Bridge near Mosta1415 viewsAcross Wied ta' l-Isperanza or Wied il-Ghasel. Take your pick.
Most Valley Website
4 commentsPrefect
v1916.jpg
Verdala 19161178 viewsPrisoners of War at St Clements Camp, site of the later school.Prefect
magic.jpg
The Original Magic Kiosk1148 viewsThe film Naughty Marietta was released in 1935.Prefect
RGAtignew~0.jpg
Tigne Barracks1116 viewsThe Royal Garrison Artillery prepares to leave for Ghajn Tuffieha Camp.
Courtesy of Malta and British Army Infantry Regiments by Bonnici and Cassar. HERE
6 commentsPrefect
Gloster_Sea_Gladiator_Mark_I2C_N55202C.jpg
Gloster Sea Gladiator Mark I, N5520.1077 viewsprobably while being flown by No. 261 Squadron RAF at Ta Kali
© IWM (ZZZ 3915E)
Hal Far Fighter Flight
Prefect
sliema_ferry.jpg
Marsamxett Ferry1046 viewsBeyond are the Tigne Married Quarters above the famous caves.14 commentsPrefect
ambulance.JPG
Wartime Valleta1034 views6 commentsPrefect
journaladeputat03collgoog_0006.jpg
Malta Protestant College, Balluta.1030 viewsProposed new buildings. Were they ever built?Prefect
vzammit.jpg
Postcard Villa Zammit Pietà1001 viewsWith what looks like Villa Guardamangia at the top.Prefect
Hal_Far-_Kalafrana_sea_planes-aerodrome_1933-1938.jpg
Hal Far - Kalafrana. 1933-1938.982 viewsJohn ClarkPrefect
MBCw.jpg
Msida Bastion Cemetery (left) & Hay Wharf940 viewsAn early British cemetery used 1806-1856, recently restored.
The hay stacked in pyramids was for Army horses.
Prefect
manibomb~0.jpg
Manoel Island under attack934 views21 commentsPrefect
tower_road.jpg
Tower Road926 viewsOn a Sunday Afternoon?2 commentsPrefect
JCmaltaA4w.jpg
Royal Naval Canteen, Corradino.886 viewsPre - War. From John Clark.
Prefect
024%20PIETA%20IL-KNISJA%20TAD-DULURI.jpg
Pieta883 viewsThe little chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows, which dates from the seventeenth century.Prefect
hibernia1902ellis.jpg
HMS Hibernia 1902859 viewsOn her way to be scrapped at Pieta. (R.Ellis).
HMS Hibernia was a 110-gun first rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy. She was launched at Plymouth dockyard on 17 November 1804, and was the last ship to fly the flag of the Earl of St Vincent. (A famous House!)
She was flagship of the British Mediterranean Fleet from 1816 until 1855, when she became the flagship for the Royal Navy's base at Malta and stationed in Grand Harbour. She remained in this role until she was sold in 1902.
More here.
Prefect
b3ed_1water.JPG
The Water Supply, Spinola, WW2.854 viewsPrefect
DC.jpg
Dockyard College, Clock & Senglea Gate845 viewsNear Sheer Bastion.2 commentsPrefect
19004w800.jpg
HMS Hibernia839 viewsBuilt 1804. She was flagship of the Mediterranean Fleet from 1816 until 1855, when she became the flagship for the Royal Navy's base at Malta, remaining in this role until she was sold in 1902. Known locally as Arbania. Replaced by HMS Egmont and in 1912 the name transferred to the fort which was renamed HMS St Angelo in 1933.Prefect
Sunderland1941kala.jpg
Sunderland at Kalafrana829 viewsAfter air attack in 1941.Prefect
fttigne.jpg
Fort Tigne824 viewsIn splendid isolation.Prefect
taxbiex.jpg
Ta'Xbiex823 viewsThe Malta Story
1 commentsPrefect
army7w~0.jpg
Tigne Hospital WW1820 viewsSgts Mess, RAMC Mess & patients' recreation room.
Courtesy of Malta and British Army Infantry Regiments by Bonnici and Cassar. HERE
2 commentsPrefect
Wpfinal1929-Huntley-London.jpg
Water Polo Fleet Final 1929813 viewsPrefect
Officer_s_Quarters_-_Dockyard_Terrace.jpg
Officers' Quarters - Dockyard Terrace 1880s799 viewsR.EllisPrefect
GID.jpg
Ghar id-Dud791 views3 commentsPrefect
RNHMtarfa.jpg
RNH Mtarfa789 viewsAfter the First World War there was a re-organization of the military medical services on the Islands. The Mtarfa Hospital, commissioned in 1912, was opened on the 29th June 1920, even though it had been in use for some time earlier. During the Second World War, the Mtarfa Hospital and barracks were reorganized as the 90th General Hospital and built up to a maximum of 1200 beds. An underground hospital was excavated under the military hospital. After the war the 90th General was reformed as the David Bruce Military Hospital. This continued to serve the military, complementing Bighi Naval Hospital, until 1970. For the next eight years, the Mtarfa Hospital served the needs of British military and naval personnel until its closure in 1978.1 commentsPrefect
566 files on 18 page(s) 1