** Please do not copy photos to other websites, including Facebook - post a link instead **

Tal-Ħandaq Nostalgia

Memories of the Royal Naval School, Malta, 1947 - 1978.


PRstation~0.jpg
Porta Reale Station333 viewsPrefect
museumstatation~0.jpg
Museum Station288 viewsPrefect
bkarastation~0.jpg
Birkirkara Station343 views2 commentsPrefect
mostanaxxarw~0.jpg
Mosta/Naxxar283 viewsAfter the merger of these routesPrefect
sliemabusw~0.jpg
A Kosher Sliema Bus ©333 views1 commentsPrefect
shinyfake.jpg
A Very Shiny Sliema Bus?306 viewsNo, a failed attempt to turn back the clock on a post 1977 bus. Fake number plate, route sign and the waistband should be dark green.Prefect
privatew~0.jpg
Was this your School Bus?341 views3 commentsPrefect
constellation76.jpg
Constellation at Luqa 1976327 viewsIn service as a bar.Prefect
cmacgmotello.JPG
Box Boat CMA CGM Otello at Marsaxlokk338 viewsMarseilles-registered 8238 TEU container vessel.
They are getting bigger so the container terminal at Kalafrana is to be expanded to cope.
1 commentsPrefect
DSTH10w.jpg
Empress of Australia277 viewsBuilt as TIRPITZ for Hamburg-Amerika Line by Vulcanwerke, A.G at Stettin, Germany
21,861 GRT - 615 x 75 feet - Twin screw, turbines - 17 knots
370 First class, 190 Second Class, 415 Third Class, 1,000 Steerage
Troopship from 1939, in which the Spear family went home in 1951. Scrapped 1952.
David Spear
Prefect
station.jpg
Valletta Station337 viewsPostcard. Written on the back - " This will give you a glimpse of the only railway in Malta which runs only a few miles to the old capital Citta Vecchia. The full fare is only 31/2d. It is quite a Puffing Billy affair. It will tell you what its like when I say that when the train is rather crowded, they sit on the footboards. I've done it myself."Prefect
Scythia4.jpg
Scythia 1948297 viewsCunard's SCYTHIA of 1920 while serving as a troop transport. She was released from trooping service later that year and refitted as a liner again. Scrapped in 1958.
linerrich
Prefect
attard2.jpg
Site of Attard Station ©269 viewsPrefect
attardcats.jpg
But the cats can't read! ©332 views1 commentsPrefect
eagle65.jpg
Imperial Eagle at Mgarr 1965296 viewsPostcardPrefect
SP2.JPG
Landing in Sliema Creek ©308 views1 commentsPrefect
SP1.JPG
Taking off in Grand Harbour ©278 viewsPrefect
023%20TRIQ%20SAN%20GUZEPP%20HAMRUN.jpg
Tram at Hamrun359 viewsPrefect
027%20LI%20STAZZJON%20TAL-FERROVIJA%20ATTARD.jpg
Attard Station367 viewsPrefect
028%20LI%20STAZZJON%20TAL-FERROVIJA%20FIL-GNI_.jpg
Hamrun Station511 viewsPrefect
newferry.JPG
Sliema Ferry 2006 ©287 viewsIn June 1991 the company Marsamxett Steamferry Service Ltd started operating the ferry service again. For this service, the MV Cominotto, built in 1940, started service. She was originally used by the Royal Navy to transport patients to Bighi hospital.Prefect
caronia_1950.jpg
Caronia 1950346 viewsThe Green Goddess. Built 1949, sold 1968, wrecked/scrapped 1974.
Admiralty tug Respond in attendance.
6 commentsPrefect
chusanw.jpg
Chusan 1969260 viewsP&O. Built 1950, scrapped 1973.Prefect
cameronia1952.jpg
Cameronia 1952343 viewsAnchor Line, built 1920. Requisitioned as troopship 1940 - 47. Then emigrant ship until 1953 when bought by MOT as troopship and renamed Empire Clyde. Scrapped 1957.Prefect
Image_(36).jpg
Grand Harbour 1962395 viewsPerhaps Prefect can identify ships?1 commentsrobinwilliams
Image_(35).jpg
View of Vitoriosa 1962326 viewsrobinwilliams
tramstaff.jpg
Staff at the Tram Depot404 viewsThe Malta Tramways were set up by the British corporation Macartney, McElroy & Co. Ltd. Construction of the lines began in 1904, with the main terminus being built in Porta Reale, Valletta, so that lines would run over Floriana and Hamrun, at which point they would diverge to different urban centres, including the Three Cities of the Cottonera and Zebbug, passing through Qormi. An extension to cover Birkirkara was later added to the original schedule. After 24 years of service, being declared insolvent, the tram company closed down on December 15th, 1929.Prefect
img047w.jpg
Troopship Empire Halladale544 viewsBuilt 1921 in Hamburg as the ANTONIO DELFINO for the Hamburg South America Line, 13,589 gross tons, twin screw, speed 13 knots with accommodation for 184-1st, 334-2nd and 1,368-3rd class passengers. May 1945 taken over by British forces at Copenhagen and refitted as a troopship. Nov.1945 allocated to the Ministry of War Transport, managed by Anchor Line and renamed EMPIRE HALLADALE. Oct.1955 laid up and 1956 sold for scrapping at Dalmuir.3 commentsPrefect
Wed_1.jpg
Wedding Coach 1952314 viewsPhill RosePrefect
Wed_2.jpg
Wedding Coach 1952284 viewsPhill RosePrefect
takali5w.jpg
Rolling off at Mgarr349 viewsOur first vist to Gozo by Imperial Eagle 1960.Prefect
greenbuses.jpg
Green Buses post 1977362 viewsSee the full story on the old buses here.2 commentsPrefect
464 files on 15 page(s) 9