RN School Magazine 1960  -  Verdala Section     Back to Magazine



  • Most recent Junior Department reports have mentioned an increase in numbers and this year has been no exception. Term started in September with more children than ever, and a promise of another Romney Hut to provide more classrooms. One of the Junior classes was temporally accommodated in half of the Infants Hall, until it was able to move into one of these new classrooms in March.

  • This year has seen several staff changes. During the summer Term 1959. Miss Billard became Mrs. Ruckert, and in July left us to accompany her husband back to U.K. Miss Stinton, Miss Kernahan and Mr. Wilsher also left, and we now hear from them from Hongkong, Germany and Singapore, and in their place came Miss Simms, ;Mr. King and Mr. Jackson, who are all now well-established at Verdala. Mrs. Cropper, Mrs. Regan and Mrs. Hicks joined the permanent staff and Mrs. Fallon, Mrs. Bailey and Mrs. Elder helped us as supply teachers during staff absences

  • We were also pleased to welcome Miss Batty to the Junior staffroom. She, of course, is no newcomer to Verdala, but for her sixth and last year in Malta, she had chosen to accompany her top Infants into the Junior School. We are only sorry that she has come for such a short time, and that we will lose her and Miss Watson, who has also been here six years, at the end of the Summer Term.

  • During part of the Autumn Term, I was unfortunately ill and absent from school, and my thanks go to the staff, and particularly Mr. Ross, who took on extra duties during this time.

  • This Christmas there was the now traditional play. This year, a very up-to-date and original one, written by Mr. Ousbey, about a planet in space. Miss Horton, Miss Butters, Mrs, Farrugia and Mrs. Allen again made the costumes, this time providing clothes for space heralds, space executioners and other in-liabitants of the 'Silver Planet'. One feature of this pantomine was the original music written by Miss Candey, and, in particular, the catchy little tune which warned the very small spaceman of his impeding fate was to be heard hummed all round the school by staff and children alike. Once again, a successful performance was due to the hard work of tfie whole school, and to the efforts of all the staff, to those who minded double classes during rehearsals no less than those who took a more active part.

  • At the end of the Christmas Term we had the usual class parties. These were very gay affairs and some of the children thought up very original decorations

  • for their classrooms and in other ways making it their own party. One class took over complete responsibility for theirs; electing a good committee, a decorations committee and an entertainment committee. It was suggesed that a 'clearing-up' committee might be a good idea, too!

    The meaning of Christmas was not forgotten. The 3rd and 4th year had a combined Carol Service at St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral, at which the lessons were read either by individual children or by choral speaking choirs. Some less-well-known carols were beautifully sung by the choir, and the whole congregation, v/hich included many parents, joined heartily in some of the more familiar carols. Later a similar service was held for the whole of the Junior Department in the School Hall.


    During the Spring Term, we were visited by two parties of students from the Mater Admirabilis Training College. We are always very pleased to welcome these guests and to know how greatly they appreciate these visits.

    At the beginning of April, some children from the fourth year had the joyful experience of taking part in a combined Service Schools Music Festival. This was a very happy occasion, at which they reaped the reward of their hard work and the work of Mr. Jenkins and of Miss Harton, who played for them. They all enjoyed listening to the individual items of the other schools, as well as joining in the singing of the songs by the combined choirs and performing their own song and verse-speaking items.

    This experience of sharing 'music-making' with other schools was a very valuable and stimulating one for staff and children alike.

    Another musical event occurred at the very end of the Spring Term, when we were delighted to receive a visit from C.-in-C's Orchestra,

    Soon we will be preparing for Sports Day, and so the School Year goes on This report has space for only some of the events of the year. Details of others will be found in the pages of this magazine, but above all it is the day-to-day routine and the hard work that is put into it by staff and children, that has made this a successful year.

  • P. Goodhow.


  • When Alice, during her adventures in Wonderland, drank from a small bottle labelled DiRINK ME she began to grow bigger and "she went on growing and growing she put one arm out of the window and one foot up the chimney".

    During the past year the Infants Department has behaved somewhat like Alice so that classes have now increased to fourteen. The Infants fill all the 'rooms in two blocks and are occupying two of the classrooms in the new block. How pleased we all were to see this new block completed for it meant that we were able to reclaim our hall (which had been converted into classrooms) after being without it for over a year. Already the children have helped to decorate it with pictures ^and flowers. As well as providing us with improved facilities for music and movement this small hall provides a "focal point" for the Infants; a little meeting place which we can make bright and attractive In appearance and regard as "'a place of our very own".

    In a school such as this where the population is constantly changing we seem always to be saying "farewell" to children and to members of the staff whose tours are completed. During the year we were so sorry to lose Mrs. Beech, Miss Burke, Mrs. Davies, Miss Farr and Mrs. Wicks. However, we have enjoyed hearing from them all and are pleased to report that they have all settled down happily again in U.K. We send them our best wishes and our thanks for all the nard work they put in at Verdala. We had several changes on the staff during the year and so we are especially grateful to Mrs. Gee, Miss Holmwood, Miss Lee, Mrs. Keane, Mrs. Roberts, Miss Stideford and Miss Townsend who have continued to teach at Verdala throughout the year for they have helped to maintain the stability which is essential for the smooth running of an Infants' School; also they welcomed and gave assistance, where required, to new colleagues who arrived at Verdala. Miss Bond, Miss Postings, Miss Whitelaw, Mrs Jordan, Mrs. Falcon, Miss Eastland and Miss Head have joined the staff during the year and we wish them all a happy stay in Malta. At various times during the year we nave been grateful to see Mrs. Bailey, Mrs. Cropper, Mrs. Elder, Miss Adams and Mrs. Ellis who have come in to assist us as "supply" teachers.

    At the beginning of this school year, after teaching for five years in the Verdala Infants Department, Miss Batty transferred (by friendly arrangement) to the Junior Department for her last year in Malta. Miss Batty was sincerely interested in the welfare of all the infants and whilst we miss her from our own department we hope that she is thoroughly enjoying her work among the older children.

    Throughout the year all the staff have worked together as a team to ensure the efficient running of the department and consequently the children have enjoyed a full and varied school life. Work and play have continued as vigorously as ever since little children abound with energy and enthusiasm. The usual high standard in the "3 R" subjects has been maintained and the children have produced a considerable amount of interesting art and craft work some of which was exhibited on open day and at the Children's Art Exhibition held in Valletta. The Infants took their usual place in the School Sports, running and swimming with the enthusiasm of Olympic champions!

    During the Spring Term several students from the Mater Admlrabilis Training College at Rabat visited the school to observe the teachers and children at work. Later in the term. Class 1 were taken toy bus to the College where they assisted Miss Batty who gave, for the students, an excellent demonstration lesson in miming and dramatization. Among other things the children dram-aized a Chinese folk tale "The Five Brothers'' which, helped by the colourful properties made by the children themselves, was a truly charming and delightful performance.

    Christmas brought its usual round of festivities, parties and plays. This year the young children taking part in the pantomime were very patiently trained by Miss Burke who was assisted by Miss Bond and Miss Postings. The children dressed as space sailors, nurse and robots danced and sang. They gave an attractive performance and we were reminded that it was Miss Burke who had, also, 'trained the choir of young children who, earlier in the year, sang so sweetly at the Inter-Services Schools' Music Festival. Miss Townsend was responsible for the design and production of costumes for the fifty Infants in the pantomine. We are extremely grateful to all those parents who so kindly assisted her and to Miss Townsend for the hours of work which she gave out of school time, mostly at weekends, to this project.

    It was a happy Christmas and we tried to ensure that the children, as far as they were able, understood the true significance of this festival and enjoyed it to the full.

    The years at the Verdala seem to follow one.upon another with alarming speed and we are now hastening through 1960. I hope for all the children at Verdala and for all those who will eventually read this report that 1960 will prove a really happy, successful year.

    V. NORTH.


    On Sunday we went to the Carnival in Valletta and there was a jungle and my little sister was frightened because she did'nt like the lions and tigers and my big sister and I liked it very much.

    DAWN PARKIN, Infant

    VERDALA FOOTBALL 1959—1960

    The Army School, St. Andrew's, who won the Bowie Cup last season, completed their league fixtures without losing a game and so retained the trophy of a second year.  Verdala "A" team tied with R.A.F. School Luqa for second place in the league and though they played some attractive and skilful football they were not quite strong enough in defence to win back the cup.



    For the first time since they entered the competition our "B" team had two very commendable wins. Though they often found themselves in arrears they played with plenty of spirit and determination. Several members of the side will be available next season and should make a useful addition to the rtrength of the "A" team.

    The final match of the season, St. Andrew's versus the Rest of the League,

    •resulted in a win for the combined team by five goals to two. Verdala representatives in this match were Trevor Wilson, Philip Briard, David Tucker and Ronald Ball.

    During the Autumn Term 1959 the inter-house championship matches were played. These provided some exciting and close games and it was only in the final game, when Nelson managed to beat Stephenson by the only goal of the game, that the issue was decided. The standard of house-football this season was much higher and it was good to see four evenly matched teams playing hard to win the House Shield.

    J. OUSBEY.

    VERDALA NETBALL 1959—1960

    The Verdala netball teams "A" and "B" had a very successful season, finishing with equal points at the top of the league.

    This Malta Services Primary Schools netball league was only begun this year and proved highly successful, all matches being played on Saturdays — parallel with the boys football league.

    The "A" team was ably captained throughout the season by Ann Mintoff who was a constant inspiration to her team.

    The "B" team was captained by Linda Pepper at the beginning of the season, but on Linda s promotion to the "A" team Linda Holworth became captain and performed her duties admirably. The standard of play was not very high at the beginning of the season, but everyone was very keen and the Wednesday after-school practices were well attended and there was keen competition to  gain a place in either team. Good progress was made resulting in Marlon Ellis, Linda Pepper and Angela Crayford being promoted from "B" to "A" team.

    Lunch time practices were popular too, everyone being very co-opsrative (especially mothers over sandwiches) these enabling the girls to improve their skill in the game and obtain a thorough knowledge of the rules.

    Some games were won more easily than others but a feeling of good sportsmanship (win or lose) was felt 'by all, in all the schools, and we hope to be able to keep up these standards in future seasons. Next year we will still have Ann Bryant and Linda Morrell to play for us.

    "A" TEAM

    Centre: Ann Mintoff (capt.) Shooter: Linda Pepper Attack: Angela Crayford Centre Defence: Julia Dobson Centre Attack; Marion Ellis Defence; Margaret Williams Goalkeeper; Thelma Mile

    '"B" TEAM

    Centre: Ann Bryant (Capt.) Shooter: Linda Holdsworth Attack; Oelia Marsdein Centre Defence: Penelope Cooper Centre Attack: Linda Morrell Defence: Susan Kelly Goalkeeper; Hilary Bates

    RESERVES:— Gillian Stanley; Sally Trotter; Avril Robinson; Vivian Whiteman. "A" Team lost 2 matches won 6 matches. "B" Team lost 1 match, drew 2 matches won 5 matches.

    A grand "Cup Final" between the "A" .and "B" teams was played to decide the outright winners. The "B' team won by 5-0.

    House Netball — Champions WHITE, Runners up — DRAKE. Equal third NELSON-STEPHBNSON. The teams for these games were organized by the girls themselves.

    White House — Captain — Ann Mintoff, Linda Holdsworth, Susan Kelly Ann Bryant, Hilary Baker, Rosina Wye, Christine Lambert.

    Nelson House — Captain — Marion Ellis, Julia Dobson, Angela Crayford, Gillian Stanley, Sherilyn Clark, Sally Trotter, 'Heather Tellam.

    Drake House — Captain — Linda Pepper, Thelma Mill, Gillian Crawley, Morag Williamson, Vivian Whiteman, Ann Bryant, Penelope Gaymer, Susan Ingham.

    Stephenson House — Captain — Avril Robinson, Linda Morrell, Yvonne Wilson. , Celia Marsden, Margaret Williams.


    Each house played the others once resulting in White beating Drake in a final deciding game. All these -games were played in the lunch hours with each house keenly supported by its own members, boys and girls of all classes.

  • J.A. SIMMS.


    Yesterday my family all went on the ship with some other people and we saw the baby being christened and we came down on the rocking steps. Then we all went in the cars, ladies in one car, men in the other car. Then the Church was very quiet and we saw Patricia being christened, and then we all went home, and we all started to eat the food.

    IRENE CAVE, Infants I.


    This year's Athletic Sports were held on Monday, 30th May, at St. Edward's College Sports Field. The field had previously been prepared by the College. We are indebted to the Rector for his kind co-operation and for lending us several props.

    Class heats and selection of Relay teams were completed during games periods prior to Sports Day as were the High Jump finals and Tug-of-War semifinals.

    There were fifty-one events on the programme which was timed to start at 1.15 p.m. There were no Infant events so that the Junior School opened the meet-ting. In the main the programme was divided into four parts, each year completing their events before retiring to the Bastion Grandstand to become cheering: spectators. While the first and second year were running their flat races the fourth year boys and girls were competing in the finals of the Long Jump. Throwing the Cricket Ball (Boys) and Throwing the Rounders Ball (Girls). These were new events on the programme and proved to be popular with the children. Class Team races this year took the form of Clock Relay Races and World Relay Races. The first and second year teams were required to draw on a blackboard a clock showing the time be 11.20. While the Third and Fourth year teams were required to spell the words Gramophone and Gorgonzola respectively.

    We were most grateful to our four Padre-Judges — Chapman, Laidlaw, Borg and Creber who worked very hard throughout the afternoon. Their efficient judging was not questioned throughout the afternoon. The starters C.P.O. Smith and C.P.O. Tedder were kept hard at work with track events stockpiling on them ready to come under starter's orders.

    Enthusiasm was not lacking at the beginning of the programme but by the time the third year relays were about to start tension was rising. All houses were very close in their total points recorded. The final result of the Inter-House Competition was in the hands of the fourth year, and excitement mounted during the fourth year track events and relays which were thrilling races.

    The Inter-Schools Relay Challenge Cup race was run before the Girls relay. St. Andrews, Tigne, Luqa and Verdala drew for position. Tigne took the inside lane. The Verdala team, James Marshall, Thelma Mill, Phillip Briard and Marian Ellis won a well deserved victory,, thus bringing the Challenge Cup back to Verdala. The final event of the afternoon was the Tug-of-War between White and Nelson Houses. Here we witnessed a good tussle between the heavy weights of both houses, White took the first pull, Nelson the second and White the third to win. "The Tug-of-War was refereed by Captain Milne Home.

    At the close of the meeting Mrs. Milne Home kindly presented the prizes of medallions and certificates which were awarded to the winners of each event. Trophies were awarded and received by Ann Mintoff and D'avid Tucker the house captains of White House. James Marshall received the Inter-School Relay Challenge Cup. Thelma Mill received a cup having been declared Victrix Ludorum and Phillip Briard was Victor Ludorum.

    With three rousing cheers in thanking Mrs. Milne Home we completed the sports day. The score board read:— White 134; Drake 129J; Stephenson 1204; Nelson 105.

    The success of the meeting was due entirely to the hard work put in by all members of the staff who recorded, marshalled, ushered, commentated, trained and provided tea to the hoarse and. thirsty field workers, Well done Ladies and Gentlemen and thank you.



    50 Yards Flat Race 1 D Girls 1. Susan Young; 2. Coralia Buller; 3. Elizabeth


    50 Yards Flat Race 1 D Boys 1. Roy Kirkby; 2. Ronnie Grant; 3. David Reynolds.

    Throwing Cricket Ball. 1. Adrian Nlcholls (168 ft.) 2. Derek Henry; 3. David Tucker.

    1st Team Race.

    Beverley Bangs; 2. Shirley Bowden; 3. Carol Smalley. George Chandler; 2. Charles Rowe; 3. Geoffrey Rees. Marilyn Coombes; 2. Donna McLeod; 3. Routledge. Michael Stone; 2. Philip Lovell; 3. Michael Jones. Jacqueline Davis; 2. Patricia George; 3. Gay Phibbs. Peter Emerson; 2. John Britton; 3. Alan Henry. Mary Husson; 2. Cynthia Mill; 3. Llandre Good. Steven Dobson; 2. Edward Lambley; 3. David Norris. 1. Reception Class; 2. 1A.

    60 Yards Flat Races:

    Girls 2 E 1. Veronica Potter; 2. Irene Morris; 3. Andrea Weller.

    Boys 2 E 1. Steven Grant; 2. David Woon; 3. Kevin lilliman.

    Girls 2 D 1. Denise Ayling; 2. Annette Cowden; 3. Susan Crawford.

    Boys 2 D 1. Philip Fleming; 2. George Wakeford; 3. Steven Bangs.

    Long Jump 1. Nicholas Howe (12' 1"); 2. Alan Goldtag; 3. Dsrek Henry.

    Throwing Rounder's Ball — Girls: 1. Vivian Wightman; 2. Sally Trotter; 3. Ann


    Girls 2 C 1. Heather Edwards; 2. Christine Coupland; 3. Sally Cook.Boys 2 C. 1.John Nicholas; 2. John Morris; 3. John Puckey.

    Girls 2B  1. Christine Mucklow; 2. Lynnette Johnson; 3. Miranda Sharp. Boys 2B 1. Brian Butler; 2. David Gwilliam; 3. Alan Rice. -

    Girls 2A  1. Helen Griffin; 2. Janine Hill; 3. Marilyn Stalker. Boys 2A 1. David Robinson; 2. Paul Hobbah; 3. Philip Gilbody.

    2nd Year Team Race — 1.2C.

    80 Yards Flat Races.

    3D2 1.Patricia Turner; 2. Susan Lovell; 3. Rosalind Holmes. 1.Nicholas Dean; 2. Michael Adams; 3. Gary Marshall.

    3D  1.Jane Foweyl; 2. Cherry Vaughan-Cox; 3. Sally Bailey. 1.Robert Smith; 2. Richard Crockford; 3. John Lambert. J

    3C 1.Janet Small; 2. Geraldine Edwards; 3. Linda Wilkinson. 1.Robert Lancaster; 2. Keith Cameron; 3. Michael Bennett.

    3B  1.Desna Covington; 2. Maureen Ballard; 3. Dawn Bayntun. 1.Michael Unsworth; 2. Rory Scott; 3. Bernard Gorham.

     3A  Linda Morrell; 2. Ann Bryent; 3. Edith Harvey. 1. Michael Worth; 2. Ian Procter; 3. Neil McLean.

    3rd Year Team Race — 1st SIC.

    3rd Year Inter House Relay Girls — 1. Drake; 2. Stephenson; 3. White.

    3rd Year Inter House Relay Boys — 1 and 2. Drake and White, 3. Stephenson,

    Inter School Relay — 1, Verdala; 2, St. Andrews; 3, Tigne; 4. Luqa,

    100 Yards Flat Race

    Girls 4 C 2 1. Pauline Garratty; 2. Lynnette Thomas; 3. Linda Parker.

    Boys 4 C 2 1. James Marshall; 2. Peter Cadman; 3. Ronald Bowden.

    Girls 4 C 1 1. Thelma Mill; 2. Penelope Gaymer; 3. Christine Polkinghorne.

    Boys 4 C 1 1. Ian Heath; 2. Adrian Nicholls; 3-4 Gary Harris, Brian MarshallDead Heat.

    Girls 4 B 1. Lesley Newton; 2. Margaret Williams; 3. Jean Catlow.

    Boys 4 B 1. John Kirby; 2. Ronald Ball; 3. John Seymour.

    Girls 4 A 1. Linda Holdsworth; 2. Marian Ellis; 3. Susan Kelly.

    Boys 4 A 1. David Tucker; 2. Philip Briard; 3. Kenneth Hare.

    4th Year Team Race — 1st 4 C 2.

    4th Year Boys Inter House Relay — 1. Nelson; 2, Drake; 3. Stephenson.

    4th Year Girls Inter Bouse Relay — 1. IWhite; 2. Nelson; 3. Drake.

    Tug-of-War. 1. White. 2. Nelson. 3. Drake.

    Champion Girl — Thelma Mill; Champion Boy — Philip Briard.

    Final Scores: White 134 1st. Drake 1294 2nd, Stephenson 12%...,...3rd


    Long ago there lived a man called Androcles. Androcles was a slave who lived in Rome. But one day Androcles decided to run away. So he did, and with the help of some other slaves he ran away, but still he was in danger for there were men about.

    Then Androcles saw a cave and immediately he had it for his home, and he began gathering a lot of grass for his bed.

    But this cave was also chosen for a lion's den as well, and just as Androcles was putting some more grass down, in came the lion. Androcles was sure the lion would kill him, but the lion just looked at him as if to say, "Help me, Help me," and he held out his huge paw.

    Androcles saw his paw was red and swollen, then he saw a thorn in his paw. Androcles pulled the thorn out.

    One day when Androcles was out a huntsman got him, and took him to Rome again, and he was put in prison there.

    There was a great theatre in Rome and some men were to fight with swords and with fierce lions, and it happened that Androcles was to fight with a huge lion with a wooden sword. While crowds of Romans waited for the fight to begin then out of the cage came the lion showing his teeth. Androcles stood very bravely, but when the lion saw Androcles he stopped growling and knelt before him. Androcles threw his arms around him, and then all the Romans cried out "How did you tame that lion, how did you tame it, how did you?" Then Androcles told them and the Romans ordered he must be free, and now it is all over and Androcles is a free man, and he walks along the streets of Rome with the lion by his side like a great dog.

    CATHERINE OWEN, Infants I,


  • We had excellent weather for our Seventh Annual Swimming Sports held at the Fleet Bathing Centre, Ricasoli on the afternoon of Friday 17th July.

    There were 28 events and these included Freestyle and Backstroke events for each age group, an Open Diving Competition, a couple of Relay Races, Four Races for Infants, and a Diving Display by the Infants.

    The heats were run on two previous days and each child competing in the heats gained a point for their heat. In this way NELSON started the Sports Day in the lead with 114 points, STEPHENSON second with 103, DRAKE third with 77, and WHITE fourth with 72.

    At the half-way stage STEPHENSON had gone into the lead with 149 points followed by NELSON with 147. In a very exciting finish the result of the House Championship depended on the outcome of the Boys Relay. At this stase STEPHENSON had 180 points and NELSON 179. The relay provided many thrills and was finally won by Stephenson with (Nelson a close second.

    The flnal result was as follows.

      1. STEPHENSON — 138 points
      2. NELSON — 185 points
      3. DRAKE — 124 points
      4. WHITE — 106 points

    Mr. S.W.C. Peck very kindly consented to present the prizes. We thank P.T.I. Moore and his Staff at Ricasoli Lido for their excellent help in making the afternoon a success, and also Lt. Goldsack and his team of P.T.I's for their invaluable help In the judging of racing and diving




    1st Year Girls

    1. Miranda Sharp ,Joanne Cooper, Jayne Segar, Glenys Drake

    2nd Year Girls

    1. Sherrilynne Clarke , 2. Susan Wood, Carolyn Ritchie, Moira McDonald

    3rd Year Girls

    1. Lois Reed  Delia Marsden Penelope Tirard Marion Ellis

    4th Year Girls

    1. Susan Barrick ,2. Stephanie Elgie ;3. Katherine Simmonds 4, Barbara

    1st Year Boys.

    1. David Robinson  Maxwell Neale Roger Cake Ian Wainman

    2nd Year Boys. Andrew Gleave Donald McDonald Paul Hogan Geoffrey Knott 

    3rd Year Boys  Donald Spencer David Humphries Peter Mulvenna Biarry Gullick

  • 4th Year Boys . Brian Hipkins  John McDonald David Tucker Peter Gaines



    Event A

    1. Philip Lovell 2. Mary McDonald  Harold Moyes Cynthia Mill

    Event B  Roderick St. Vaughan Susan Loram Rosemary Campling Marion Rea

    Event C John Arter  Philip Neale Sally Christopher Pamela Hayes

    Event D Roger White Mandy Adams Lynda Gilbody Jennifer Wills



                  Girls Marion Ellis Marilyime Finch Jane Suimimall Katharine Simmonds

                  Boys David Tirard Peter Gaines Donald McDonald Barry Gullick


    1. 1st Year Girls Christine Mucklaw Gay Monman Wendy Coben  2nd Year Girls Sherrilynne Clarke  Charlotte Primrose Julie Stevens

      3rd Year Girls Penelope Cooper Celia Marsden Vivian Wightoman Ann Bryant 1st Year Boys. Robert Nesbett Donald Street

      2nd Year Boys Terry Hipkins James Bletcher David Arsenault Michael Unsworth 3rd Year Boys Pete Mulvenna John Plumridge John Marrack Trevor Wilson

      4th Year Girls  Susan Barrrick Ellen Gower Ailsa Laurie Katherine Simmonds 4th Year Boys Brian Hipkins Richard Curtis Peter Gaines Barry Jame


            RELAYS Girls 1 — NELSON Jayne Segar Penelope Tirard Penelope Firard Jennifer Goldsack

                                Boys STEPHENSON Roger Cake DonaldMcDonald Donald Spencer John McDonald

    Mothers Race — Mrs. MOORE  Fathers Race — Mr, RITCHIE.


  • A class was again held for the Society's Elementary Certificate. As usual, the standard appeared to be high enough to gain at least the Intermediate Certificate but, because of their age, the children are only allowed to enter for the Elementary Certificate.

    Twenty-three children gained the award and we are indebted to P.T.I. Moore and his staff of Ricasoli Lido for their help and encouragement during the water work.


    Patricia Collins Jennifer Goldsack Susan Barrick Margaret Mills Susan Finch F-eta Claydon Sheila Hayes Andrea Wilson Jane Trelawney Francine Billett Ellen Gower

    Geoffrey Edgell Peter Lant Stephen Mathews John Beer Michael Peake John Nesbit John McDonald Paul Bennett David Tirard Michael Richards Duncan McKelvie Graham Oakley

    P. Ross.


    During my trip to England I cams down in Corsica and we re-fuelled. I drove the plane over France with the Pilot. I sat in the Co-pilot's seat. Then I got to London and Pop met me. Then we went through the country and then we stayed in a hotel. Then in the morning we had breakfast, and then we started up the engine of Pop's new Rover sixty. Then once again we went through the country and at 5 o'clock I arrived at Nanna's house. I stayed there for two weeks and then I went with Pop to the Isle of Wight, and I saw our relations. We stayed there for three days, and then went back to Wales. Then when I got back I went to see Robert Payton next door and when I finished playing with him I went with Pop to Maesteg Colliery and I bought some sweets. Then on the way back I stopped at Maesteg Bus stop then I went home to see Nanna. Then I went to have tea with Uncle Gwilym and we saw TV. On the way back home I saw my friend. When I saw Pop's petrol pumps I went up to Granny's house and, she gave me some money. Ttien I went back to see Nanna in her house and I saw Nanna's cat. When I saw him last he was a tiny kitten, and I saw Davy Whittaker in his shop and I bought an ice-cream from his shop.

    When I saw Bom the drummer-boy on T.V. I roared with laughter because Bom shot with the cannon one of the turrets off the fort and he was put in one of the fort's prisons and he did want his drum back. When he did have it back he opened the. latch in his drum and got inside it and then when the guard came Goodness me where can Bom be, then suddenly the drum rolled towards him and knocked him over. Then I came back to Malta.


    in the country

    I'd like to live in the country because 1 could put up my hammock and sleep in it at night, and in the day-time I would pick flowers and make bouquets for my Mummy and Daddy. I might have some companions in my bed with me like a bird or something, but certainly not a hedgehog — it would prick me.

    I could go out camping with my animals that I have made friends with — like a lamb. I'd pick tulips, roses, daffodils, primroses, daisies, chysanthemums, geraniums, violets and every flower there is.

    I could swing in the trees and climb them, shake them and play with lots of lambs in the field. I don't think Mother Lamb would appreciate that. I'd make a little hut in the wood so when I come home from camping in the woods I can make a big bunch of flowers and go in the cottage to have tea, and then sleep in my hammock. But if my Mummy comes I'll quickly hide them away so Mummy can't see until I give them to her.

    I'd go up down, up down, up down until the swing stopped, and in the night I'd go to sleep in my hammock or in the cottage in my cosy little bed.


    I have two little fish in my flat, and I call them Pepper and Salt. I take them into the kitchen every day and 1 give the fish clean water and I give them some food to eat.

    CAROL BURGES, Infants 2.


    Once upon a time there was an owl and his name was Oo. He liked mice. He had a baby owl as well as himself, and a Mummy owl and they all lived together.

    One morning when everyone was asleep, Father Owl went and caught one mouse. But it was poisonous and when it was lunch-time he had a big bite, and Baby Owl said "no, no don't have a bite because it is poisonous and you will die!" But Father Owl did not hear him because his voice was so little.

    The next morning they were all having breakfast, and Father Owl was fast asleep. And they thought that he was pretending, but he was really dead. And they were very sad and they were nearly crying.


    I'd like to be a country child. I could swing on the trees. I could make a hut. I'd see the Butterflies fly by. I'd pick flowers, daisies and buttercups, tulips, poppies and roses.

    I'd play in the fields with the lambs. I'd go for a walk in the woods, and pick some tulips for Mummy. I'd climb the trees. I'd see the squirrels. I'd love to see the hedgehogs.

    ANGELA ROCHE, Infants I.


    One day a queen lived with a giant. They were very rich because they had gold. They lived in a castle. They lived happy in the castle.

    SUSAN CLARK, Infants 2.



    My name is Kim and I am a Boxer dog. Sometimes my mistress takes me out to the park, but sometimes she forgets to take me out so I bark and then she remembers. I live in Plymstock. I do not get much to drink and I do not get much food, but I carry on.

    One day I am going to be sold, and I will be glad because I don't like my mistress or my master because they are cruel to me.

    This is the day I am moving. The next day at the new house I am fed well and I am happy.

    ANGELA BELBEN, Infants I.


    Once upon a time there were three little birds. One was called Tip, one was called Tap, and the other was called Top. They all lived on a tree top. One day in summer they all went out singing, because they were very happy. Just then someone called "Come down from there. I want to shoot you." The voice came from a high mountain. The babiest bird went over. When she got there the man shot her. He went away. Tap came and Tom came and they carried poor little Tip home to their nice little nest. Top called Doctor Bird. After a while Tip got out of bed. She came to Tap and then to Top and said "I am better now." So Tip,, Tap and Top lived happily ever after.

    AMANDA ADAMS, Infants 6.


    I would like to be a tiger, a wild tiger and wander in the hungry desert, and fight upon the lions in the desert and kill snakes and that. Then I hope I can kill quite a few lions in one day.- Or about three snakes, and then have a nice cool drink.

    Also I would like to be a worm and make my home under the ground, so that I could see 'what it is like underground. Anyway, 1 keep on asking my Daddy if he knows what it is like underground, In a worm's hole underground, but he keeps on saying, No he doesn't know. So I don't think I will bother him any more.

    Talking of the tiger, I could roar like a lion could roar.



    I had a little dog — his name was Spot,, I had a little cat — her name was Dot. They ran together in races, They went to some of the loveliest places. They ran to the trees to find some shade, They dug and they dug with a little spade

    The dog found a bone

    The oat found a fish

    The dog said, "Oh, dear, we haven't a dish!"



    If I lived in the country I could sleep out and cook my meals outside. But I hope the (fire doesn't go out because if it does I'll have to light it again. And I could sail my yacht down the lake and find the drowned farm.

    Once, whan I was! in the country, ibefore we came out here, I sailed my yacht up the lake and I saw a frogman whose Aqualungs were caught in barbed wire. It took me seven dives until I could untangle the wire.

    The country is so peaceful and baautiful with butterflies flying about. Birds and flowers are nice to have in a tent. What a pleasant time you will have with hammocks tied fast to trees, because if you fall off you might land on another hammock. What fun you will have pole-vaulting over fences.

    Making swings will be fun especially with Carolyn around because she'd want a swing every minute of the day. I like to swim, and Mummy said I could have a horse when we can afford one, so I could ride down the lane trotting, cantering and galloping until dinner-time, and after I am sixteen I will run a stable and I will call one horse Cambridge Boy and ride him every day. Then I might get new saddles and felts and I'll keep the stable nice and clean and have sky-lights and changing rooms. Then at night I will go home. It has been a lovely time living in the country.

    Now I am on holiday in the town.



    Once on the edge of a village there lived a little man called Jim. Now there was one thing wrong with Jim, this was that he always went into the village and shouted "don't 1 look smart?" All the people were trying to think of a way to punish him. At last one of the King's wise men thought of a way to punish him. He said "we will go near his house and boast." So they did and Jim did not like it so he never boasted again.

    KEITH KHEATLiEY, Infants I.


    I am a puppy now, and I live with a nice kind man in a kennel and my name is Lassie. I have all the left-over meat for dinner, and I love corn-flakes so every morning I have them, and for tea I have the cake crumbs. Oh, what a lovely day I have.

    My master is very kind to me and now I've grown I know what to do and what not to do. I do hope I will go for a walk this afternoon in the field, and I will chose other dogs and play with them in the grass.

    THEA STUBBlNGS, Infants I.


    Once, long ago, there lived a Book that was about Other Lands. It was very interesting. This book was in a shop waiting to be sold, and one day a man came in the shop. He was looking for something for his grandson because it was his birthday soon. The old man was( very, very old. He was 88. The shop-keeper showed him round all the interesting things, and he also showed him the book. The man thought it was very interesting and he bought it from the shop for his grandson. On his grandson's birthday the book was the loveliest present, and the book lived happily ever after.

    LINDA HANDS, Infants I.

    The Christmas Pantomime

    This year's pantomime was an original one called "Jan and the Silver Planet". The setting, a lost planet in outer space called Ecarg, gave plenty of opportunity to both costume and set designers and highly colourful and imaginative work was produced by both teams.

    Miss Howe's ballet dancers were an excellent addition to the show and were particularly splendid in their Inquisitor's Dance. The Infant Sailors and nurses




    provided their customary share of laughter and were equally popular with the junior and adult audiences who saw our performances.

    Of the 150 children who took part in the pantomime Linda Morrell as Margaret, Peter Hutchins as Jan, John Irvine as Very Small Spaceman and Paul Sellen who was a fierce and commanding Grand Inquisitor all gave lively and stylish portrayals. The pantomime was written and reproduced by Mr. J. Ousbey and the original music composed by Miss L.H. Candey.




    Most of the children in the 3rd year groups have been taking recorders for the first time. In spite of far too frequent interruptions, which have meant long periods without organised practice, there has been very pleasing progress. Practice beyond the tuition which can be given in school is essential, however painful it may be to unwilling bearers at first.

    The tow 4th year faithfuls deserve special mention. Ann Mlntoff and Marion Ellis gave a recital on both descant and treble recorders last term which was very much enjoyed. We shall be sorry to lose them both in the summer, and hope that they will continue to play in their next schools,



    The first year children are particularly enthusiastic recorder players, with lorty-two of them members of one of the groups. Another smaller number of second year attend regularly.

    Most of the children are making excellent progress with a small group preparing to graduate to the treble recorder.

    I would like to thank all parents who have borne, with such great patience, the initial tuneless squeakings of the young musicians. I trust that you 'regard the daily practice worthwhile now you are being treated to more melodious, and, I hope recognisable tunes.

    At the end of the Easter term the entire group joined with the School Choir to give a musical performance to the rest of the Junior School. This inspired a number of new children and we have a waiting list now of people wishing to join the group.

    A. BATTY,



    There was once a very old penny. It was made in London in 1928 and it had been round the world till I960. It was in a sailor-man's pocket in 19i2;8. One day the sailor had a hole in his pocket and he was in Mexico. It fell out and fell down a drain. The drain led into a river. The river led into the Gulf of Mexico and went down the Mlssissinpl and the Showboat circus picked it up. An African came to the Circus and had too much money and he got the penny for his change. He had one shilling and it was eleven pence so he got that very penny that was in the [Mississippi and the African had to cross the Atlantic Ocean. One day he was leaning over the side of the ship when a penny fell out, and a whale swallowed it and some fishermen caught the whale and sent it to the factory and there they cut the flsh open and they found there was a penny in it. They sent it to the fish shop. The penny was given to a lady and she put it in her purse and she went to buy some sweets for her little girl. She gave the shopman the penny. Then one day a lady came to buy a lollipop and the lady bought it but she gave the man twopence and they only cost a penny so the lady got the penny for her change. When she was walking along the sea front it fell out of her purse and the penny fell on <a bit of wood. It floated for two miles, and the Captain of the Albion picked it up from his launch and he put it in his pocket. Hie was walking along up the deck when it fell down the chimney, and then the Captain picked it up and it fell into the cellars and the men who made the smoke were astonished and they threw it out of the port hole. It fell on 'a bit of wood and it sailed into a port in Canada. A mountie found it and he took it to his headquarters and put it in his pocket. One day he went to a little down and bought a packet of cigarettes. It cos nine pence '.halfpenny and he bought a lighter and it cost fifteen and six. In the ninepence he spent the penny. A Sergeant-Major went to the shop to get some sweets because he was going to England on holiday and he was wanting to go to London and he would want something to eat. He went to London and then he went to the town where I lived and the penny fell out of his pocket and I picked it up and now it is in my bank.

    ALAN CHOWDER, Infants I.



    I would like to live in the country because I could play with my brother, and I could pick poppies and I could climb the trees, and I would see the rabbits.

    There would be nice green hills to see, and I would ask Daddy to make me a swing and put it on a tree, and it would be nice and quiet, and I would see the butterflies.



    When I was in the plane I saw a cloud that looked like a man with a torch because the sun made the light and the clouds made the man.



    Spring is coming

    The lambs are running

    Blue bells ring

    And little birds sing.



    Once upon a time there was a little red rabbit who had a little white fluffy tail. His name was Spot. One day Spot went to school. He played with the boys and girls there. But when the teacher saw him she was angry. A little girl who was at school said "Do not be angry with him". The teacher said "No".

    There was once a little house which was lonely because no one came to buy it, because it was in the wood. One day a little girl came by and saw the lonely little house. She went in and saw that it was all dusty. So she dusted it. Then she went out in the garden. It was so pretty that she decided to live there in the house. This made the house happy.

    LINDA HARDWICK, Infants 6.


    I saw the Carnival a fortnight ago. There were zebras and crocodiles and giraffes, and 'all sorts of funny people. There was a windmill on a lorry and there were unicorns. The funny people made me laugh.


    The "Children of the New Forest" is a book which I am enjoying thoroughly. The book is about the times of Oliver Cromwell in Charles I reign. It has in it very interesting characters like Edward Humphrey, Edith and Alice. They are the family of Sir Beverley, a soldier of the Civil War. 'When he died he left his four children with his wife but she died of shock when she heard the news of her husband's death. Its 'adventures are of sorrows and happiness. I am sure if you read this enjoyable book you will surely feel that you are one of the Beverleys or at least a great friend of theirs. All kinds of children would like to read it and children of 9 to 12 years would enjoy it.




    The Verdala Brownies have now established themselves and we are able to keep a full pack.

    The last year has seen the coming and going of two Brown Owls. We have had several Brownies leave us to return to the U.K. Their places have soon been filled by eager recruits from our rather long waiting list.


    The pack have been working hard for their badges and we've had three Brownies, Anne Bryant, Jennifer Goodwin and Hillary Maslen gain their Golden Hand, a great achievement, by hard work.

    The Thinking Day and Remembrance Day Service at the Garrison Church, Tigne, were well attended by the pack.

  • BROWN OWL. 23rd. MALTA.                                                        'VERDALA BROWNIES"


    During the past year we have had to say goodbye to 3 Old Wolves, Mrs, Waller 'and Mrs. Morgan from the Wednesday pack, and Mrs. Mckelvic from the Tuesday pack.

    The two packs were merged as one in July, owing to shortage of helpers.

    In September we had a field day with the scouts at Scout Headquarters, cooking our dinner and playing games, everybody agreed it was a jolly good day.


    January was once again Christmas party time, thanks to the efforts of the parents Committee.

    I would like to thank everybody for the help they gave during bob-a-job week. The boys of this pack collected £34, which I think Is a wonderful effort.

    Thank you everybody!

                                                                                                                         VERDALA CUBS



    Do you believe in ghosts?

    Are they true?

    Have you ever seen a ghost, and did it frighten you?

    And if there are any,

    Are they white?

    And do they only come out at night?

    Are they just reflections from a star?

    Or do they waken from the dead,

    To be a scare and a dread ?

    Do you think that such as I

    Might see a ghost drift through the sky?



  • We have now come to expect Miss Vasey, our previous Headmistress, to send us each year a very interesting letter from Mombasa. We have not been disappointed, for below is one of the most interesting letters it has been our pleasure to read. On your behalf, we thank Miss Vasey very much and send her our vary bast wishes.

    "There must still be several children at the Naval School who remember me and it is really to them I am writing.

    It must surely be time for the I960 edition of the School Magazine and as I am kept up-to-date with Verdala news I should like you to know that I often think about the very happy time I spent there.

    Since I wrote last I have done several very exciting things, seen some more of the world's wonders, met some very interesting and unusual people and travelled many thousands of miles. I think you might be interested in my trip to Tanganyika, the Rhodesias and South Africa.

    My next door neighbour hails from Yorkshire and she and I set off last Dscember in her Volkswagen hoping to get across Tanganyika and N. Rhodesia as far as the Victoria Palls in 7 days. Tanganyika is such a vast country we thought we should never get across it and were very pleased when we did get a first glimpse of Rhodesia but not for long. We were unlucky to hit the tail end of a cyclone and we followed it for days in torrential rain which made the earth roads into seas of mud. The ruts in some places were 18 inches deep and made driving a nightmare. It was essential in some places to drive over 400 miles as that was the distance from one hotel to the next! At one tiny wayside hotel hundreds of miles from anywhere we had to stay two days — not even the pstrol lorry got through. However when we finally arrived on the eighth day just beyond Livingstone and saw "the smoke that thunders" all our exhaustion and fears swere forgotten*. Hastily we looked in at the camp and drove on to the Falls and there in all the glory of the setting sun was this breathtaking spectacle.

    The Falls are over a mile wide and twice as high as Niagara and are most inspiring. All that colossal volume of water, estimated at 7:5 million gallons a minute, cascades down for 300 feet and then rushes through a narrow gorge at what is called Boiling Pot and that is what it looks like. You can visit various parts of the Falls with picturesque names like The Devil's Cataract. The Rainbow Falls, Danger Point, Knife Edge and The Silent Pool where there are crocodiles. You would enjoy being drenched in The Rain Forest where the rain comes up as well as down!

    One morning we spent 15 minutes in a plane and saw the mighty Zambesi before it rushes over the Falls and from the air we could see the several gorges and the river afterwards. We visited the Power Station at the foot of the Falls and one day we went to the Rhodes Livingstone Museum.

    We enjoyed two days relaxation at Bulanay, a pleasant Rhodesian modern town about 300 miles from Victoria Falls. We then flew to Johannesburg 'the city of gold'. Here we had a hectic three days of sightseeing, shopping and luxurious living.

    Johannesburg itself is as big as Malta island and is ringed with mine dumps which are not as ugly as they sound. The beautiful trees of a hundred parks all planted by man in the last 60 years help to beautify the city.

    One day we were taken to Pretoria the lovely capital of South Africa. On


    the way we stopped at the famous Voortrekker Monument. Bound it is built a circular wall made of covered wagons carved in stone.

    Another day we were taken over a gold mine and saw the many processes through which the gold has to go before looking like Mother's wedding ring.

    Jo'burg is a very fine modern city but a very sad one with so much political unrest so we were quite pleased to return to Bulawayo to spend Xmas with friends in the heart of Matabele Land.

    Boxing Day was most interesting the highlight being a visit to World's View to see the grave of Cecil Rhodes, the founder of Rhodesia. And what a magnificent view it is! After a glorious drive we were taken to see some colourful paintings of Stone Age cavemen. We finished off a lovely day with tea on a Rhodesian Farm.

    The next day began our long trek back to Kenya. We made a detour of 100 miles in order to visit one of the world's most ambitious engineering projects — the power station at Kariba and what will be the largest man-made lake in the world. The building of the dam is a long story and in some ways a tragic one. We should love to have gone out in a little boat on the lake to watch 'Operation Noah' and to have seen the rescue of the wild animals trapped on the islands which very soon will be submerged, but we didn't have time. Apart from the usual buck and monkeys we only saw one hippo close to. We sat under a notice board on the roadside which said "Beware of Elephants" but we didn't see one all the trip.

    We spent one afternoon at Salisbury where we had tea with Miss Instrell who used to be on the Verdala Staff. She is now married and was about to leave Rhodesia for England. She and her husband were hoping one day to get back to Malta.

    From Salisbury our return journey was in pleasant sunshine all the way so we saw all the things we had missed on the way down. We arrived in Mombasa quite safely, having travelled 4,500 miles by car over all kinds of road, having no car trouble except a splintered windscreen.

    One of the highlights of the year for me was the visit to Mombasa of Miss North, Miss Batty and Miss Watson in August. How I enjoyed hearing all the latest news of Malta in general and the Naval School in particular. It was very pleasant recently to spend an afternoon with Mrs. Rogers who used to teach P.E. at Verdala.

    I hear regularly from Mrs. Eaton who is now Mrs. Vasey and she gives a very interesting picture of her work among the blind Malayan children.

    Life at the Training College here is still full of variety and interest. We have an even greater mixture of racss and religions than ever before. The only Christians are the Qoans and they are all Roman Catholic. Do you know where Goa is? You can find it on a map of India.

    I read with great interest every page of the last Naval School Magazine and was of course intrigued over your library news. I am the Librarian here too and The British Council has just presented us with 160 news books not many of which would appeal to you of course. We have about 6,000 books and have just had new glass cupboards, tables and chairs so we really look like a library now. Every day during the Easter Holidays the library will be open in the morning and it will be filled with students working hard.

    I expect you all miss very much Mr. Willsher, Miss Stinton and Miss Kernahan. I have heard from all three and I hope they will be as happy in their new posts as I am in mine.

    When Miss North was here in August she showed me several photographs of you all, both children and staff and I thought how well and happy you looked. I hope that you are enjoying your stay in Malta and that you will go home to England with as happy memories of Malta as I have.


    This has been a busy year, with many more displays than usual, and p.lways practice for Exams!

    The Ballet danced a great deal in the Christmas Pantomime and Pauline Hargreaves, Jennifer Goldsack and Paillette Routledge had to shuttle between Tal Handak and Verdala during rehearsals. These three are in the position of being members of the Senior School, but still dance with Verdala Ballet.

    The Senior Grade danced 'Claire de Lune' in the Planet Pantomime then joined with all the others in the ^Ballet of the Space Princess'. Pauline who has reached High Senior Grade, on blocks, did the solo of 'Space Princess'. Other Seniors were Jennifer as Saturn, Paulette as Venus, with all her little moons around her, Hilary Baker as Mars, Maureen Handley, as Black Planet Pluto and Ann Bryant as Jupiter.

    The Tiny's were clouds, very proud of themselves, and many of them have oy this time, passed Primary Grade.

    The greatest hit of the show (from the dancing point of view) was the Inquisitors' Dance — with everyone in a mask! And how many times those masks got lost!!

    Quite recently the Club did a display at the Dockyard club, in which everyone, and I do mean everyone, had to work supremely hard, and learn lots of new dances.

    Tich Baker — our dear Tich — danced for us for the last time, her solo being the Doll from Coppelia. She did this beautifully, sur le pointe, and will leave a gap in our ranks which cannot easily be refilled. Hilary Baker, Ann Bryant and Faulette Routledge danced a Spanish Trio, Jenny Goldsack, Russian, and Pauline Hargreaves, our First Soloist, the Rose Adagio, sur le pointe.

    At the time of going to press, the Second and Senior Grades are busy rehearsing v/ith the M.A.D.C., as they are to be Fairies in Midsummer Nights Dream — great excitement!

    We are now holding Thursday and Saturday classes in Trinity Church Hall, Sliema, as this gives the girls a rest between school and dancing class, particularly welcome in the hot weather. It is also intended that, now we have a nail, to hold a class for 6-7 year olds. This could be held on Saturday morning, when they would not have to contend with a long school day.

    Our best wishes to all old members, who still write, and still carry on with their lessons — Debby Davies in America, Ailsa Laurie, now on blocks, Marion Hawkins- Suzanne Thrisaitt — and now, Tich and Hilary Baker and Ann Bryant,



    Suppose one day you are walking backwards, because sometimes you like to, and you bump into a crocodile — what do you say? Or if somebody introduces you to an elephant? Do you know who Basil Chimpy is or what he did with the banana, or why Old Mr. Sourpuss was Grumpy when a drop of icy water fell on his bald head? Are you interested in cats, or cows, or comets, or cathedrals?

    If you want to ftnd the answers to these questions you can do it by joining the school library. The subscription for a whole term is sixpence and you will be able to come each week and take your pick from over 2,000 books. During the summer holidays another 200 new books are being added to the library and we are certain you will find many of these interesting and enjoyable. There are some new Biggies titles, another two stories of Green Knows, a large selection of annuals and books of information, more books about ballet, a new Pepe Moreno story, several additions to the Nature Study section, and for all of you who enjoyed the adventures of Snowy and Tinnotin in the "The Crab with the Golden Claws" and "King Ottokas' Sceptre," there are four new titles which look very exciting.

    May we thank all those parents and children who have given gifts of books to the library during this last school year. The life of a library book is very limited and we are always pleased to receive replacements of o'd favourites or, indeed, any type of book suitable for junior children.

  • D. J, Butters J. Ousbey.


    The leaves are budding on the trees And swaying in the gentle breeze, And when the leaves at last appear, We know that spring is really here. And when the blossom starts to show It reminds me of a shower of snow.

  • SUSAN CURLIS, Form 3.D.I.J.

  • 94



    It was an October day in 1805. The British fleet were fighting against the French and Spanish. The British flag-ship Victory was at battle with a French ship, with sharp-shooters in the rigging. Admiral Nelson the famous sailor was standing on deck, wearing his medals. The sharp-shooters noticed him and fired, so died Admiral Nelson, one of the world's most famous sailors. Before his death, victory was assured and he died peacefully.

    Lord Nelson was born in Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk, in .1758. In 1770, at the age of twelve, he entered the Navy, and, in spite of bad health, carried on service. In 1787, he was married and after some leave returned to the Navy. In 1793 while in command of a naval base in Calvi, Corsica, he lost the sight of his right eye. In the same' year, while fighting off Spain he lost his right arm. In 1798, he had a victory in Aboukir-Bay. His rewards for the victory included his being made a baron, being awarded large sums of money, and being made Duke of Bronte,, in Sicily. In 1801 he was victorious at Copenhagen.

    The victory at Trafalgar ended the Franco-Spanish Fleet. In London Nelson's column has been erected to his memory,

    M, VINGOE, Form 3.A.J,


    Mary, Betty, Anne and Tomjim had been invited to stay with Colonel Cromton at Ivedale Grange over Christmas. They had to travel in the car for the Grange which was about 30 miles away. When they reached the grange a man of about sixty with blue twinkling eyes and a big red moustache was waiting to meet them. "Well hello" said the Colonel. "I've been waiting for you, come in and I will show you around then we will have something to eat." "But (first of all I must introduce you to Robert who is also staying with me." Robert turned out to be rather a nice boy with black hair and brown eyes. The old house was in perfect condition and it. was beautifully painted. The bedrooms were quite nice too. "Ah", Colonel Cromton said, "You must be hungry after your journey." "Come I have some tea waiting in the dining room." They entered the small dining' room where there was a fire blazing merrily just in front of the table. So they all settled down to a most enjoyable tea. After tea they wandered into the sitting roam to watch television. "Oh look" said Tomjon." "There is a balcony up there". "So there is!" exclaimed Mary, "I'll go up there tomorrow." They watched television till nine o'clock then they went to bed. At about midnight their door began to creak and it gradually opened, Tomjin and Betty were now wide awake. "Look," said Tomjin "See that white figure there?" "Oh!" said Betty and she began to cry. But there was no time for crying because the white figure was now coming towards Betty.

    Betty gave a loud yell which brought Colonel Cromton running in. "What ever is the matter?" the COlonel asked, "Seen a ghost or something?" "Yes," said Betty in rather frightened tone. "I expect you saw the ghost of Ivedale Grange" said Colonel Cromton. "It does rather scare people." They were not bothered by the ghost anymore except the night before they were due to leave, Betty heard a tapping which seemed to come from inside the wall. Suddenly Betty remembered what Colonel Cromton had said about the ghost that tapped his way out of the wall every fifty years. Betty ran over to COlonel Cromton's chair where he was sleeping and shook him until he awoke. "What's the matter?" said Colonel Cromton. "The ghost has come back," said Betty, "its up on the balcony." The (Colonel got out of his chair and ran up to the balcony but of course the ghost was gone. The Colonel came down and said to Betty "Don't worry Betty the ghost only walks twice every fifty years so you will be all right.

    FIONA HANSON, Form 4.A.J.



    One snowy winter's day a little boy named Raymond Buirn was going to get food supplies for his mother, as they lived on the other side of the big mountain called Kenoff.

    Suddenly he noticed that the bridge which the express train crossed had fallen into the chasm.

    Raymond glanced at his watch and saw that it was fifteen minutes to eight o'clock. The express train would soon come roaring along in the distance.

    Raymond was thinking to himself, and he thought the train was about five miles away.

    He rushed back to his house to find some wood, but he could not find any, so he grabbed his sledge and cut off the sides and ran towards the broken bridge. He suddenly remembered he hadn't brought any matches, so he felt in his pockets and to his relief he found some.

    Be quickly lit the wood and ran round the mountain to the other side of the chasm, and he ran towards the train which was about half a mile away shouting, "Danger! Danger!" at the top of his voice.

    The engine-driver saw the light and pulled up. Raymond ran quickly to the train and said the bridge had fallen into the chasm.

    They thanked him quickly and the train went backwards. Raymond went back home.

    Next morning all the passengers on board the train put some money together to buy Raymond a new sledge, because he had saved their lives, and everybody was happy.



    At last we had landed on the moon! I peered out of the porthole and immediately I thought "Desolate, dusty, and barren. A truly weird and lost world." I manipulated the controls of a sort of claw which took in some moon-dust. I looked at it and found it to be rock crumbs, knocked off the rocks and mountains by meteorites countless ages ago. My friends and I clambered into our spacesuits and went out through the airlock.

    It was day when we went out, so we had to switch our suit-coolers on. Any normal thermometer we took out just blew up. Soon it was night and we had to switch our suit-coolers over to reverse. Suddenly I found a cave. I ventured inside and saw some queer plants some of which must have produced air, for our oxy-checkers showed normal. There were some weird animals in the cave, and they resembled giant centipedes. The animals attacked us, so we defended ourselves with our X ray paralysers. When these proved useless we used (ox) our Z ray guns. These shot little glass dagger shaped bullets which went half way into any fairly soft surface. When they got this far the points would break off and transmit radioactive rays, known as Z rays into any material killing it immediately if it is alive. The animals had no resistance to this and it killed them off like flies. We decided it was too dangerous to try and camp in the moon cave so we returned to the spaceship and slept there.

    ROGER HICKS Form 3 A.J.


    It was a cold and nippy day of 1740 when General Wolfe was born. He was a pale faced boy with a mop of red hair.

    At the age of sixteen years he fought with King George II (our last King to be on a battle field). Wolfe's army was in the middle of the 1st. line. While doing this his horse was shot, so far the rest of the battle he fought on foot.

    At the early age of 23 he was made a Colonel. It was he who led the first "Commando" raid on the French Coast. But it was a failure and this being so he was filled with anger. Now old Admiral Hawke saw this pale faced leader full of anger at his failure. "Ah" he said '"this is the type of man Pitt needs." So he told Pitt. He also told him to make him ia General.

    Pitt did so, and told Wolfe to go with some other men. He told Wolfe he was to capture Quebec. So in June 1759 Admiral Sander's fleet sailed down the St. Lawrence to Quebec. It was in this fleet Wolfe's soldiers were hidden.

    Quebec was high on the cliffs. It had 100 guns and 2,000 troops. General Montcalm had a main camp consisting of 14,000 soldiers and 1000 India Scouts.

    General Wolfe's troops were on the Isle of Orleans (just of Quebec). It was impossible to raid the East Coast because of a water-fall 250 ft. high.

    Then one night Admiral Sander's fleet bombarded Quebec and it was not until one o'clock in the morning that they stopped.

    Wolfe moved his troops up and down to puzzle the French Army, Wolfe pretended to attack the main French Army at the Beauport. But Wolfe had been studying the Women of Quebec washing clothes on a small beach. After a time he had seen what he wanted to see. — A small zig-zag path up the cliff.

    So on the night of September 12 1759, 1700 men in small boats with muffled oars drifted down the river towards the beach. "Qui vive?" said a guard "La France — be careful lest the English hear you" replied a Scots officer who spoke French. There was a second challenge and the same answer was given.

    On th3 beach Wolfe was afraid a stone might fall and spoil his plan, there was a muffled cry as the guards were over-powered.



    Later on a white faced messenger told Montcalm a handful of troops were in the cliffs.

    JVIontcalm Jed his troops only to see rank upon rank of redcoats. He put his sharp shooters in the woods. In the battle Wolfe was hit twice. He hardly seemed to notice his wounds. The British fired at forty paces, reloaded under cover of smoke, walked forward twenty paces, and fired. Then they charged. Wolfe was hit again. He died after knowing the British had won.

    PETER BOSS, Form 3.A.J.


    I am a brownie sixer,

    With little time to spare.

    I do a good turn every day

    As all good brownies should they say.

    SUSAN 1NGHAM, Form 3.D.I.J.


    Riding is very thrilling. Every week you go up to the stables wondering which horse you'll be riding. When everyone knows how to ride properly it is always hard to wait for the next week, because I go Tiding and I know how hard It is to wait for the next week. I'm sure too that all the other people who go to the same stables as I do feel the same. Some people go for only nalf-an-hour, but most people go for an hour. When you get to the stables if you aren't changed into riding clothes there is a little room where you change into your jodhpurs, riding hat, riding boots and hacking jacket if you've got them, if you havn't you can wear hard weaving shoes and jeans. First of all you goal! round the racecourse sometimes walking, sometimes trotting, it takes about twenty minutes to go all the way round, and if! you are having an hour you have forty minutes left to do canters, zigzagging at a trot and canter, a circle at a trot sitting, rising and cantering. Bach week she will teach you new things and when you are very good you might be able to enter a show. When you first start you will only have one rein while the instructor holds the other. It 'is sometimes difficult to control a horse, sometimes if boys are playing football the horse may get frightened and bolt, and if a norse likes grass it may suddenly put its head down to eat the grass and you might slide right down his neck. There is hugging a horse, I mean by having very short reins, the horse wonders why and keeps tugging and kicking. Horses are very intelligent and sense danger easily. Sometimes on the ride you have lots oj people or sometimes just a few. You may have heard the saying 'the more the merrier' but lots of people like it best when there are few people on the ride. When you ;are back at the stables you rub the horses down and give them a drink and give them something to eat and make them comfortable for the night. Then you change back into your other clothes, pay for your ride and give the last of your sugars. You say goodbye to the horses and then go home on the ordinary bus or in your own car.

    MARION ELLIS — Form 4.A.J.


    The moon is bright,

    And always white,

    The sun is gold,

    But terribly bold,

    Saturn has a ring,

    Which always likes to sing,

    The world is old,

    As I've been told,

    Really this earth is a queer old place,

    And carries its countries over its face,

    PAUL LANE Form 2 A.J.


    The moon is big and bright, The moon is very white, The moon gives me a fright, When it comes up at night.





    I came to Malta on a ship. It was called the Dilwara. There was a school on the ship and I went in the morning but not after lunch. Our cabin had three beds but there are four in our family so daddy went in another man's cabin. The bottom bunk was hard so I took the top bunk which was soft. The basin was filthy so I cleaned it out. We had breakfast before Mummy and Daddy and we had to go to the nursery but we did not like it, so we went sometimes and sometimes did not. We stopped at Gibraltar to get people on the ship tout we did not get off. When we got to Malta a peculiar boat was waiting to take us in to shore. A man was there and he took us to our hotel which was called the Modern Imperial.


    Not long ago Dr. Barbara. Moore completed her one thousand miles walk from John O' Groats to Lands Ends.

    John O' Groats is the furthest point north of Scotland and Lands End is the furthest point south.

    It took Dr. Moore twenty three days in which to walk there. During her walk, she had to battle against ;all kinds of weather, but 'all the way she walked in carpet slippers.

    Dr. Moors is a, vegetarian 'and eats only fruit and vegetables for meals. She does not eat meat or anything of that kind.



    (We set off to Gozo from Maria on the "Imperial Eagle". We landed at Mgarr where we saw lots of Gozo fishing boats. These boats were very attractive to look at. They were painted in bright colours and had names in bright colours and had names like Josephine and Georgina.

    [From there we went along a road from which we saw a very English looking church. We soon arrived at Victoria the capital of Gozo. From Victoria we went to Xlendi, a picturesque little flshing village. The bay was called Xlendi bay. We went into the small hotel which was called St. Patrick's Hotel. At the back of the hotel on the hill there was a little chapel.

    We walked up to Victoria the following morning. On the road the old fishermen were mending their nets. We went into the citadel. It is very old and some of the houses are ancient. On the walls we had a lovely view over Gozo.

    One day we went to Marsalforn and saw the little harbour there. Then we went to Sannat. There was a lady there who sold lace. She showed us a woman making lace. We also went to Nadur where we saw a lovely church. In one of the towns there was a church being built round an existing church.

    One of the days we were in Gozo we went to Ramla bay. The sands there were very soft, but we didn't see the Roman remains. We didn't go to see the window in the rocks or in the inland channel.

    We ended our holiday on Gozo by going home on a very stormy day.

    MARY TODD, Form 3A.J.


  • Jericho. In the cave I enjoyed seeing the Stalagmites and Stalactites. There was an enormous Stalagmite, and there were a lot of bones as well. Dr. Trump pointed out to the children "G]ar Dalam Sandwich". He told them all about when Malta was under the sea.On the 9th February, some children from Verdala went to G]ar Dalam. They had their teacher and Mrs. Goodhew the head-mistress, Miss Batty was their teacher. When they got there they were met by Doctor Trump who was an archaeologist. He was very nice indeed and he helped to discover the Walls of

    E.R, LAMBLEY, Form 1A.J.


    There was great excitement, when my Daddy came home one day, and, said "We are going to Malta". We had to wait for a few weeks, before we actually sailed, and while we were waiting, we went to the dockyard surgery for our inoculations and vaccination.

    At last the great day arrived. We journeyed to Liverpool by train, and then went aboard a troopship, named "Empire Clyde". We stowed our cases in the cabin, then we went on deck, to listen to the band of the Regiment which was sailing with us. We sailed at seven o'clock that night.

    My sister and I were very excited as we sailed down the River Mersey.

    We found plenty of things to do, and enjoyed our first day at sea, even though my sister Lesley was sick twice. However she soon got over it.

    The next day things were not so good, as all the children of school age had to go to school! This state of affairs lasted for the remainder of the trip, except on Sunday.

    We got up early one morning to see the great Rock of Gibraltar.

    We called in at Algiers for fuel oil, and while we were waiting for the oil to : come aboard, we watched French soldiers armed with rifles and machine guns patrolling the dock side.

    We laughed at some soldiers throwing cigarettes to some arabs on the dock side. In payment one of the arabs threw a loaf of bread.

    We soon left Algiers and went on our way towards Malta.

    The day before we arrived the ships' crew gave a party for the children who were getting off at Malta. The party started with a cinema show, in which we saw lots of funny cartoons. This was followed by a trip to the dining saloon, where we had lots of good things to eat.

    All good things have to end, and next morning we got up early to catch our first glimpse of Malta.

    However the weather was very bad with rain and we were well into the harbour before we had a good view.

    After clearing the customs, we left the ship, and thus began our stay in Malta.




  • One day in April we drove a hired car down to .Southampton Harbour with all our luggage, to find the place half full of passengers just arriving from their visit abroad.

    I was just a tot about two years of age. While Mummy and Daddy were taking the luggage out of the car, my brother and I walked along the platform looking at the beautiful vessel we were going abroad on, she was named Stratheden.

    In about twenty minutes we were ready with four helpers carrying our luggage. We walked up the plank with railings at the sides and boarded the magnificent de-luxe liner and we were taken to our cabins.

    After that we came up on to the deck and Mummy and Daddy went up on the bridge. We all said good-bye to our friends hugging them and saying "I wish you could come with us."

    Suddenly the funnel hooted three times and we were off to our visit abroad in Ceylon.

    Waving handkerchiefs we slid out of the harbour into the open sea, and in about an hour we vanished from sight of dear old England.

    We all went down to our cabins to sort our luggage and with my teddy bear I flopped on the bunk. In about ten minutes I was asleep.

    It took us a week to get there, and at last we were sailing into harbour.

    A rickshaw boy offered us a ride in his rickshaw and we managed to get to an hotel name! Shabsheshaw.

    In a month's time we got a house which was called Mickermere house.

    We saw boats with floats at the sides which were called catamarans.

    For three years we stayed in Ceylon having a joyful time and then at last we went back to our friends again.


                    Back to Top